Red, White and New











Image Credit: Veranda , July/August 2009

This Summer home, located on Sagaponack Long Island, is an inspirational design lesson for us all. When the owners were looking to refresh, they returned to Interior Designer Marshall Watson, who decorated the home when it was purchased 20 years earlier. Custom Made Furnishings were well worth investing in. Designed by Marshall to scale, these timeless pieces of furniture did not go to waste. Sofas were given slipcovers with beautiful printwork. Wooden pieces scraped and refinished and relocated to define another room. New fabric on chairs, cushions and curtains, new flooring and a fresh coat of paint, and you have a brilliant transformation without wreaking havoc on our already fragile environment.

And then, the colour. What a surprise to see red ! Red has to be the most difficult colour to work with. Whether you want it on your wall, sofa, or toenails, it just isn't easy to apply. Here it is used to perfection, the perfect shade, the perfect amount, and the perfect location! Carried beautifully throughout the home is nautical Red white and blue that is set to a breathtaking ocean backdrop.

Interior Design by Marshall Watson, Architecture by Michael Bazala, Landscape Design by Creative Greenery,Photography by Keith Scott Morgan

21 comments:

  1. What an absolutely beautiful home!! Thanks for the fascinating post, Vitania!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haviing recently done a red post it tickles me silly to another amazing red & white room: they marry so well. The slipcovers on the sofas are extraordinary. I must pick up the issue to see if its printed or embroidered fabric, but my money & hopes are on the latter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it, especially the 2 red lampshades on the console! Red really does provide a hit of drama and passion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a classical color combination. It will be here forever. And it always looks PERFECT.
    XX
    V

    ReplyDelete
  5. To me, this is an all American home with the red, white, and blue color scheme. The perfect place to spend the summer - and I guess that this is a summer home (what a luxury) - what better place to spend the 4th of July? Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Smart interiors! This combination of colors is really beautiful!
    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. agree with everyone - the use of red is v mod and summery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Love this especially the white and red fabric on the sofa. I totally agree that red is a difficult color to decorate with, but it looks so well done. Nice to know it's on Long Island. Now I just need an address so I can park myself there on the weekends. They look like they have more than enough room for company! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with all. The use of red and the overall colors throughout the home was very well done! I would love to sit out on their pool! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous! I love every room. Love the red and white and, being a sucker for painted furniture, I love that painted cabinet in the bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to say that I'm not a "red person" for furniture, maybe a detail, but nothing more, however, I have to admit that combination of colors is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a gorgeous house....wow....lovely pool area, great decor!
    Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would like to lounge by the pool on one of those chaise lounges... pool boys available for drink orders?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the update Vitania...still coveting & wishing it was embroidery....

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a really beautiful home :-) Bright & cheery & casually elegant. It's great that they were able to re-use a lot of the pieces that they already had.

    You're right, the balance of red with the blue & white is just right.

    I love the picture of the dresser with the vase of hydrangeas :-)

    I'm happy to hear you enjoyed my post about turquoise :-)

    Have a great weekend!!

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful! What's on the floors in the blue and brown bedroom and the red and white bedroom?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for comments everyone. i just had to share this wonderful use of red..

    Paul, the blue/ brown bedroom is a Patterson, Flynn & Martin sisal carpet - stenciled by Judy Mulligan.. yean - I think I am in love with that one.. in the red/white room Custom carpet by Patterson, Flynn & Martin.

    Vitania

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just stumbled on your blog and I love it!! How could it be that I missed it before?? Our blogs have such a similar style!! Going to read some of your older posts!! Excited!
    x-Gina

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is great to see color used in such a subtle and refined way. It is also interesting to see how the designer reworked the space. It must have been an fun project. Thanks for stopping by my blog - and for introducing me to your blog. I will be back!
    Bethany

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you !

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails