A Fine Group

Bright Land - Arthur Lismer
.
Autumn in the Northland - Franklin Carmichael
.,
Cool Weather - AJ Casson
.
I have to Thank PVE for this post today. Yesterday, Patricia posted a few paintings of cypress trees by Arthur Hill Gilbert, and I was catapolted into an art class I took 100 years ago, highschool, and the first time I was introduced to this incredible group of artists. You have to follow PVE's blog, because I am telling you she is full of life and incredible creative energy, funny smart.. you get it.

Maple and Birches - AY Jackson
.
Stormy Weather on Georgian Bay - Fred Varley
.
When the first cool breeze blows in late August, I can hardly wait for fall to arrive. I can't even imagine living in a climate that doesn't take advantage of this beautiful season. It is a time of renewed spirt, incredible colours, and a blanket of warmth. The Group of Seven Artists, captured this spirit in every stroke of the brush. As a group of young contemporary artists in the 1920's, they set out to capture Canada's incredible landscape in a distinctive style. They are among Canada's elite, and are a symbol of our identity.
.
Berry Patch - Frank Johnston
>
Algoma Forest - JEH MacDonald
.
Golden October - Lawren Harris
>
Smoke Lake - Tom Thomson
.
This is my home. A place I love dearly, where I find peace and comfort in the familiar terrain. These beautiful images remind me of the serenity that I feel on a hike through a park or a drive through the country. Where fashion and Interiors are far from my mind, and the only Designer that matters is Mother Nature.
.

Autumn Foliage - Tom Thomson

Images from Group of Seven Art.com

15 comments:

  1. Stunning collection of trees. I must send my sister over too to see these. Just magnificent. Thanks!!
    pve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vitania, I'm loving your blog more with every post! I've taken the liberty of nominating you for an oh-so-prestigious MeMe award — stop by A Verdant Life to pick it up if you so desire!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in some serious love with the second painting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous work ~ makes me excited for fall!

    xoxox,
    CC

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only one I remembered was Tom Thompson...I had forgotten how amazing the whole group was! Great post!!

    Best,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mother Nature is definitely the BEST designer!!

    Beautiful paintings, and so proud that they're by Canadian artists :-)

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a pretty post! Makes me wish this hot summer would just be done with us already! Love the Smoke Lake painting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, those are so beautiful and colourful!! Love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are beautiful. I love Autumn in the Northland.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always been a fan of Canada's "Group of Seven" - love their work! Of course, I've always felt that Emily Carr should have been included with this all male group, but that's a topic for a different post! :-)
    Thanks for sharing these wonderful paintings!
    Victoria @ DesignTies

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a strong and meaningful collection of paintings. They are 'moody' in a good and communicative way.

    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, glorious work! Thanks for brightening my Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Almost 35 years ago, my then husband and I visited a friend in Toronto. They had a book about some Canadian artists called the Group of Seven. I had never seen anything like these paintings. I became a major fan, purchasing almost every book I could about them -- a substitute for not being able to afford their art. I am STILL a BIG fan; my second husband and I saw their work when we were in Montreal last year and there is an entire museum devoted to their work outside of Toronto.

    I have been amazed that in all these years, I have never seen them exhibited here in the States. Is it because they are Canadian? Their work is considered a national treasure in Canada. Deservedly so!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow - thank you all for your lovely comments.

    Toni, the gallery in kleinburgh is called the McMichael Cdn Art Collection. It is located on a beautiful piece of property just north of T.O. It is just a few minutes away from where I grew up.

    http://www.mcmichael.com

    I would imagine given their relevance to Cdn Art History most of the pieces remain displayed in Canada.

    I agree Victoria..:-)
    Thanks all
    Vitania

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always get a bit sad at the end of summer but these paintings are reminding me of all the good things about Fall. Agree, Patricia of PVE is great.

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you !

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails