Design Bits: Viva Barcelona

The Iconic Barcelona chair was designed in 1929 by Mies Van Der Rohe, a German architect who was a pioneer of modern architecture.  The chair was  influenced by ancient folding Roman chairs, and when it was presented at the International exposition in 1929, it was said that it was a "design worthy of Kings".  In 1953, Knoll took over production of the chair, and it's popularity was resurrected.  Despite it's simple architecture, much craftsmanship goes into the frame which is made from one piece of stainless steel.  Today numerous replicas are made, but none hold the prestige of the original.




Image credits:  Candace Rose & MA Belle

9 comments:

  1. Timeless classics always have my vote!
    The top image is my favorite! Perfect combination of white on white!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have 2 white replicas and a matching ottoman. When a guest sits on one for the first time they are always very surprised at how comfortable it is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always wanted a set of white barcelonas- I think they're such a great compliment to so many styles. Definitely a true love piece of furniture for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. one of the first things i fell in love with
    in this life was 'the Barcelona chair'

    i was all of 14 or 15 yrs old.
    i love it today as i did the first time i set
    eyes on it!!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how you can mix the modern Barcalonas with traditional spaces.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We looked at a loft the other night, and the one thing my husband commented on were the Barcelona chairs...I immediately thought...well...I get I will be getting two of those for the new place without an arguement...lol...

    Hope you are well Vie,

    Best, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. that made me speachless !

    Thanx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely a classic IMO. Have a great day Vie!

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you !

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails